Get ready for the fireworks because July’s DIY classes are heating up! Craft your own wooden sign at Sawdust Savvy or fine-tune your sewing skills with fiber artist Mandi Smethells at LAB MPLS’s weaving class. Want more? Read on for this month’s lineup of Twin Cities make-and-take classes.
Create Space in White Bear Lake has classes for all ages and levels, hosts private events, public classes, drop-in hours, and even gives back to the local community by donating 10 percent of their revenue.
- Thursday, July 4, 11, 18, 25 – Open Hours, 1-9 p.m.
- Friday, July 5, 12, 19, 25 – Open Hours, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Friday, July 12, 19, 26 – Wood Sign Class, 6-9 p.m.
- Saturday, July 6, 13, 20, 27 – Open Hours, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, July 20 – Create Space @ Minnehaha Falls Art Fair, 10 a.m.
For additional info and locations, visit yourcreatespace.com.
Gray Duck Art
With Gray Duck Art, you paint a portrait of your own pet. They’ll customize your pet’s photo to a paint-by-number canvas, then you fill it in with the colors of your choice. (Plus, they host all their classes at local breweries, so you can sip and snack while you paint.)
- Tuesday, July 2 – Paint Your Own Pet @ Badger Hill Brewing in Shakopee, 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 9 – Paint Your Own Pet @ Sociable Cider Werks in Minneapolis, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 15 – Paint Your Own Pet @ Lakes & Legends Brewing Co. in Minneapolis, 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 16 – Paint Your Own Pet @ Urban Growler Brewing Co. in St. Paul, 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 23 – Paint Your Own Pet @ Badger Hill Brewing in Shakopee, 6 p.m.
- Thursday, July 25 – Paint Your Own Pet Pawtery 2 @ Color Me Mine in Eagan, 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 30 – Paint Your Own Pet @ Sandcastle in Minneapolis, 6 p.m.
For additional info and locations, visit grayduckart.com.
LAB MPLS collaborates with local artists who come into their Minneapolis studio to teach “labs”—offering a wide variety of creative explorations from cocktails and calligraphy to watercolor, weaving, and more.
- Wednesday, July 24 – Weaving Lab, 6:30 p.m.
For additional info and locations, visit labmpls.com.
Projects in Person
Projects In Person, better known as PIP, offers wood-based home decor projects that range from headboards to cutting boards and everything in between. They bring the tools; you bring the creativity.
- Wednesday, July 18 – Tables, 6 p.m.
- Thursday, July 11 – Bean Bag Boards, 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 17 – Floating Shelf/Shelves, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, July 18 – Cutting Boards, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 24 – Clock, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, July 25 – Headboard, 7 p.m.
For additional info and locations, visit projectsinperson.com.
Sawdust Savvy, located in Stillwater, offers plenty of “Pick Your Project” workshops where participants can complete 22 different projects—including wood signs, decorative boxes, serving/decorative trays, photo ledges, blanket ladders, shelves, and even a custom farmhouse table for your kitchen or dining room.
- Saturday, July 6, 20 – Sign Workshop, 2-5 p.m.
- Sunday, July 7 – Sign Workshop, 9 a.m. to noon
- Friday, July 12 – Sign Workshop, 6-9 p.m.
- Saturday, July 13, 27 – Sign Workshop, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
For additional info and locations, visit sawdustsavvy.com.
Socially Handcrafted, located in Burnsville, has a personality. I mean, their motto is “…because crafting is cheaper than therapy.” Not only do they have a sense of humor, but they’re also Minnesota’s only “speakeasy” DIY studio—sure to provide a new, exciting, and promising experience.
- Friday, July 5, 11 – Paint Pouring Class, 7-9 p.m.
- Saturday, July 27 – Make + Take Event, 9 a.m. to noon
For additional info and locations, visit sociallyhandcrafted.com.