by Jahna Peloquin. Image from Larry Millett’s “Minnesota Modern: Architecture and Life at Mid-century”
This week in home and garden sales, shopping events, lectures, workshops, and other events in the Twin Cities.
- Bachman’s Spring Garden & Landscape Seminar: Gardening for Healthy Environments: Learn garden a plant layout and maintenance essentials from Bachman’s horticulturists and guest experts in this seminar, which features a presentation by the University of Minnesota Bee Squad on “Gardening for Pollinators.” Tickets are $10 and include a $5 coupon valid towards a Bachman’s purchase of $25 or more. Proceeds benefit the Bee Squad. 6–8 p.m. Wed., April 26 @ Bachman’s, 6010 Lyndale Ave. S., Minneapolis, 612-861-7600, register @ bachmans.com
- Art in Bloom: See floral creations inspired by classic artworks during the Minneapolis Institute of Art’s annual flower festival. Art in Bloom features more than 160 floral arrangements designed by amateur and professional floral designers that interpret pieces from the Mia’s permanent collection. The festival features four days of free and ticketed events, including a free Flower After Hours party (5:30-9 p.m. Thu., April 27) featuring floral creations by Bachman’s. Read Midwest Home contributor Camille LeFevre’s review of this year’s show on the Home Dish blog. April 27-30, preview party Wed, April 26 at 6 p.m. @ Minneapolis Institute of Art, 2400 Third Ave. S., Minneapolis, tickets available @ 612-870-3000, info @ new.artsmia.org/art-in-bloom-2017
- If Bees Are Few Book Talk: Join home and garden store Isles Studio for a conversation with Jim Lenfestey, editor of the recently published poetry book, If Bees Are Few. Lenfestey will read from the book and be joined by a local beekeeper who will answer questions about the plight and future of bees. 5–7 p.m. Thu., April 27 @ Isles Studio, 1311 W. 25th St., Minneapolis, 612-999-4680, islesstudio.com
- An Evening with Juliska: Receive advice and inspiration on stylish table settings from high-end tableware brand Juliska during this in-store event, which is geared toward couples who are planning their wedding registries. A representative of the brand will be present to offer tips. 6:30-8 p.m. Thu., April 27 @ Ampersand Studio, 3445 Galleria, Edina, 952-920-2118, ampersandshops.com; register for free at eventbrite.com
- Navab Brothers Warehouse Sale: Save 50 to 65 percent on all Oriental rugs in a wide variety of sizes and styles during Navab Brothers’ huge warehouse sale—their first in five years. 10 a.m.–7 p.m. Thu., April 27 & Fri., April 28; 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Sat., April 29; 11 a.m.–5 p.m. Sun., April 30 @ Navab Brothers Warehouse, 7900 Excelsior Blvd. Unit 106, Hopkins, 952-935-2083 (sale days only) or 952-920-9597 (store), navabbrothers.com
- Linden Hills Spring Shopping Crawl: The shops of Linden Hills are joining forces for a spring shopping crawl, with specials, prizes, and in-store events at each location. Those who collect a stamp from each participating business (including the Linden Tree, Brown & Greene Floral, and Victory Vintage) will be entered to win a gift card from each business. April 28-30 @ businesses between W. 44th & Beard Ave. S., Minneapolis; for more info, visit Facebook
- Silvercocoon Jewelry & Art Sale: DOM Interiors showroom hosts a jewelry and art pop-up event from the husband-and-wife interior design team, Souliyahn and Tia Keobounpheng of Silvercocoon. The pair, which also offers design services, will selling Tia’s geometric, acrylic, mixed-metal jewelry and Souliyahn’s large-scale, abstract, original artworks. 3–7 p.m. Fri., April 28 @ International Market Square, Suite 145, Minneapolis, 612-341-4588, silvercocoon.com
- Minneapolis & St. Paul Home Tour: Take this free, self-guided tour for home improvement inspiration, resources, and the opportunity to speak with homeowners and contractors. Get your free passport at the first home you visit and find a list of locations at msphometour.com. 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Sat., April 29 & 1–5 p.m. Sun., April 30.
- Summer Flower Show Opening Day: View warm-season blooming plants as Como Park Zoo & Conservatory kicks off its Summer Flower Show in its Sunken Garden. April 29-Oct 1 @ Como Park Zoo and Conservatory, 1225 Estabrook Dr., St. Paul, comozooconservatory.org
- Minnesota Modern with Larry Millett: Join Castle Building & Remodeling and the Natural Built Home Store for this special talk featuring renowned Minnesota architecture critic and historian Larry Millett. He will be discussing his book Minnesota Modern: Architecture and Life at Mid-century and mid-century modern architecture. RSVP for the free talk at naturalbuilthome.com. 10-11:30 a.m. Sat., April 29 @ the Natural Built Home Store, 4020 Minnehaha Ave., Minneapolis
- Woody’s Furniture Outdoor Furniture Sale: Save 15 percent on all outdoor furniture during the month of April from the locally owned furniture retailer. April 1-30 @ Woody’s Finished & Unfinished Furniture, 5217 Excelsior Blvd., St. Louis Park, 952-929-6300, woodysfurniture.com
- Traditions Side Table Sale: Save 35 percent off all retail, stock, and special-order side tables through the month of April. April 16–30 @ Traditions Classic Home Furnishings, 4245 Excelsior Blvd., St. Louis Park, 952-285-2777, traditions.com