As we transition into a new decade, we don’t see the popularity of do-it-yourself classes dying down anytime soon. Whether paint pouring or calligraphy is more up your alley, there’s truly something for everyone in the Twin Cities this month. To prove it, we’ve curated a list of more than three dozen creative classes for you to unwind, unleash your artistic potential, and usher in the new year.
Carver Junk Co.
Google describes Carver Junk Co. as a “cozy shop for restored vintage furniture, housewares and accessories with a rustic-chic aesthetic.” True, but they left out the kicker: They offer some can’t-miss, one-of-a-kind DIY classes, too.
- Saturday, Jan. 11 – Introduction to Modern Brush Calligraphy, 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
For additional info and locations, visit carverjunkcompany.com.
Create Space in White Bear Lake has classes for all ages and levels, hosts private events, public classes, drop-in hours, and even gives back to the local community by donating 10 percent of their revenue.
- Friday, Jan. 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 – Open Hours, noon to 6 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 3, 10, 17, 24 – Wood Sign Class, 6 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 4, 11, 18, 25 – Open Hours, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 31 – Valentine’s Wreath Class, 6:30 p.m.
For additional info and locations, visit yourcreatespace.com.
Projects in Person
Projects In Person, better known as PIP, offers wood-based home decor projects that range from headboards to cutting boards and everything in between. They bring the tools; you bring the creativity.
- Saturday, Jan. 4 – Headboard, 10 a.m.
- Friday, Jan. 10 – Ladder, 7 p.m.
- Thursday and Friday, Jan. 16-17 – Minne Bar, 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 17 – Centerpiece Box, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 18 – Dining Table, 10 a.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 24 – Cutting Boards, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 25 – Console/Coffee/Side Tables, 10 a.m.
For additional info and locations, visit projectsinperson.com.
Sawdust Savvy, located in Stillwater, offers plenty of “Pick Your Project” and other workshops where participants can complete 22 different projects—including wood signs, decorative boxes, serving/decorative trays, photo ledges, blanket ladders, shelves, and even a custom farmhouse table for your kitchen or dining room.
- Saturday, Jan. 4, 11 – Sign & Tray Workshop, 10 a.m.
- Friday, Jan. 11 – Sign & Tray Workshop, 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 18 – Sign & Tray Workshop, 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 25 – Sign & Tray Workshop, 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
For additional info and locations, visit sawdustsavvy.com.
Socially Handcrafted, located in Burnsville, has a personality. I mean, their motto is “…because crafting is cheaper than therapy.” Not only do they have a sense of humor, but they’re Minnesota’s only “speakeasy” DIY studio—sure to provide a new, exciting, and promising experience.
- Friday, Jan. 3, 10 – Paint Pouring, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 9, 23 – Paint Pouring, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 18 – Crochet Basket Class with Anne Cops, 1 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 19 – Blankets & Brews @ Badger Hill Brewing, 2 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 19 – Blankets & Brews @ Lift Bridge Brewing, 6 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 25 – Make & Takes, 9 a.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 30 – Sip & Knit @ Schram Vineyards, 6 p.m.
For additional info and locations, visit sociallyhandcrafted.com.